becoming well-traveled

I think I have no "place" home. Home is people and where you work well. I have homes everywhere and many I have not seen yet. That is perhaps why I am restless. I haven't seen all of my homes. - John Steinbeck

Saturday, May 13, 2006

the hits just keep on coming

It’s been rather some time since I’ve written anything, so I’m not altogether certain anyone’s checking in anymore. That’s OK, though. On our final road trip of the season – to Cologne – we actually have internet in our hotel, a first for our away games.

After we arrived this afternoon, I went to check out the Cologne Cathedral. It was fairly amazing. We walked a narrow, winding staircase nearly to the top of one of the steeples. Cologne doesn’t have much of a skyline, but it was a nice view of the Rhein River.

Earlier this week back in Berlin, I finally made it to the Reichstag and went up into the glass cupola. That was brilliant. I can’t believe I almost left without going up there.

We play our final road game here tomorrow. The following Saturday will be the last game of the season for us. After that, I’ll work the week leading up to the championship game.

I’m certainly ready for the season to come to a close. It’s been a good experience, but the grind is catching up with me. Since I arrived in Tampa on February 8 or so, I’ve had all of three days off. And I thought the two days off a month I had in Cleveland was bad…

I am starting to get a bit restless to get home, but also know that I have another month yet here and about half of that will be vacation. I obviously want to make the most of the chance I’ve got to see some amazing things, so I’ll try to hold the homesickness at bay for awhile longer.

Of course, I still have no idea what exactly I’m going to be doing when I get back home. Hopefully I’ll find some outlet where I can be a productive member of our wonderful society.

5 Comments:

At 5/14/2006 4:59 PM, Blogger her said...

aand you can come visit me in Alabama where I am currently writing this...scary...but fun! It's different from the amber waves of grain but I like it! Anyway, I think that I'd be ready to come home too if I were you - but, remember to enjoy it and then remember that when you've been home for awhile, you'll wish that you were on a European adventure again =)

 
At 5/14/2006 8:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I remember how I'd anticipate comments on my blog and how crestfallen I'd be when none appeared. Sorry if I've made your crest fall.

We look forward to your return and promise to give you something better to look forward to than Alabama. Really, Krystal.

 
At 5/15/2006 3:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Denvey! I can't wait to see you when you come home. Let me know when you fly in to Detroit. I love you, a lot. I am glad that you are experiencing life in such lasting ways. Kristina

 
At 5/18/2006 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, 'bama, the outskirts of Chicago? Fine, go visit everyone over the summer, but then come see me in the fall and you'll love NYC much more and we can celebrate that I win for best place for people to come visit. It will be grand. Autumn in New York- bad movie... easy inspiration for a great time measured anyway.

Of course if a visit to the city sounds too tiring... I'll understand.

cheers!

 
At 5/20/2006 6:19 AM, Blogger Denver Parler said...

So many places to visit... Maybe it'll be good not having a job. I'll become a professional friend-visitor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home