becoming well-traveled

I think I have no "place" home. Home is people and where you work well. I have homes everywhere and many I have not seen yet. That is perhaps why I am restless. I haven't seen all of my homes. - John Steinbeck

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

with love from denver

Ahhh, nothing like the sight of a beautiful sunset over a strip mall. Welcome to the suburbs, (of) Denver. Everyone else makes jokes, so for some reason I feel the need to get in on the action. This will be brief as I’m a mere 15 minutes from closing time at Panera Bread. As I said, welcome to the suburbs.

At any rate, the drive out here went about as smoothly as could be expected. Essentially, it consisted of back-to-back 11-hour days on the road, split up by an overnight stop in Des Moines, Iowa. Good ol’ Iowa. Great place to grow up, but I wouldn’t want to live there again.

I made it out here in the evening of the 20th, or last Thursday. I crashed at one of my coworker’s place for the night before setting out on the apartment hunt last Friday. Initially, I achieved only futility as the first two places I visited exclusively offered 12-month leases, which don’t work for me since I’m only guaranteed work for six months.

At the second place I visited, the Leasing Consultant (tour guide) asked where else I was visiting. The mention of one apartment complex elicited this response: “Well, I don’t want to say anything bad about them, so I’m not going to say anything at all.”

Immediately, I sensed that perhaps said complex was crappy enough that it would be cheap enough for me. Indeed, indeed. Later that day I moved into said crappy apartment complex.

Now, don’t get me wrong, my place is certainly serviceable. It works for me. It’s cheap. I’m a young bachelor, so I don’t need much aside from a cheap monthly rent and a roof over my head. So I settled into my lovely place. I was going to post pictures, but forgot to upload the pictures before I came. Oops.

I started work on Monday and was immediately struck by how good my situation is here. I’m working with a very well-respected, well-connected PR staff. I get along with the fellow Grad Assistants, which is huge. Also, I’ll have the opportunity to travel with the team to half of their road games this season, which is a nice perk. Things get rolling for real tomorrow when we host our pre-camp media day, followed by the beginning of training camp on Friday.

Next week, I’ll be heading back East for a couple days for my little bro’s wedding. I’m looking forward to that whole deal aside from having to miss work at this early stage.

Anyways, I will post apartment pictures soon. Also, I will try to snap a couple pictures of the mountains which I see on my way to and from work every day. They are nice.

Also, at some point in the very near future, I’m sure I will compose a rant against the lack of public transportation in the U.S.A. Automotive traffic is out of control. We need to get on this train (literally and figuratively).

Until then, I look forward to hearing from any and all.

1 Comments:

At 7/30/2006 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home